The offseason can be a tumultuous time for coaches and GMs on the hot seat. Here in Browns town, our coach, GM and CEO all got canned. This three-alarm corn bread will make you feel like you are on the hot seat, but I promise you won't lose your job.
Corn bread is a staple of any good bbq or soul food meal. Often times, it is made with dairy or eggs and is off limits to those eating a plant based diet. At the Hold the Pigskin tailgate our cornbread is not only vegan, but it is moist, spicy and stacks up against the best corn breads you can find.
This corn bread is made with equal parts corn meal and bread flour. To give it a unique texture, it is loaded with chopped jalapeños and kernels of golden corn. Two flax eggs take the healthy factor to another level and provide a soft, moist texture. This corn bread is worthy for any tailgate or bbq, vegan or not.
The recipe is quite easy to make and requires few ingredients. It makes a sizable batch, but feel free to double or triple it if you are serving a crowd. Trust me when I say, there won't be any leftovers. Enjoy!
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (3/8 cups hot water mixed with 2 tablespoons of ground flax, let sit for a few minutes to become sticky)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 jalapeños, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt)
- Add wet ingredients and mix well (almond milk, agave, flax egg)
- Fold in corn and chopped jalapeños
- Pour into the greased pan and bake for 25 minutes
- Remove and let cool before serving
|Moist and delicious|
|Corn bread with BBQ Tempeh and Collards|