|Yup, thats a grilled vegan jalapeño popper|
The Browns have been on the road the past two weeks and continue to ride the quarterback roller coaster. While that means I haven't been down at the muni lot tailgating, I have an amazing appetizer recipe to share with you that works on the grill or at home in the oven. Jalapeño Poppers!
For centuries, vegan's have tried to replicate cheese. While we have come close, nothing quite gets us there. However, cashews are my favorite creamy substitute, and they do a pretty darn good job providing that velvety texture and flavor. As Tal Ronnen likes to say, cashews are "vessels of creaminess."
Cashews and nuts are only one third of the vegan creamy equation. The other parts of the trifecta are beans (think hummus or tofu) and avocado (which naturally stands on its own). Nutritional yeast is an important ingredient in the vegan cheese quest. So is turmeric, for those who care about the yellowish appearance. These poppers, while they don't have avocados, have all the makings of a creamy vegan delight.
This recipe comes together quickly, especially if you have a couple hands on deck. One person can cut open the peppers while the other prepares the filling. Then you can both stuff the peppers and top with bread crumbs. I left a few seeds in to give it a little heat, but it wasn't overwhelming. Enjoy!
- 24 large jalapeños, cut in half, membranes and some seeds removed
- 14 oz. firm tofu, lightly pressed
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cut and remove membranes and some seeds from peppers
- Paces remaining ingredients except breadcrumbs into a high speed blender. If not using a vita-mix, soak the cashews for at least an hour and drain.
- Scoop the cheese mix into the jalapeño boats. Be generous!
- Just before ready to cook, sprinkle on bread crumbs.
- Grill: place in grill pan and cover with foil. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Oven: place on baking sheet in oven at 400 degrees. Cook for 20 minutes.