|Smoked Eggplant Dip|
This recipe can be made entirely in a parking lot and is easy to do if you pre-chop all the herbs and spices. Smoking big eggplants takes some patience, especially when cooking the entire aubergine. I really enjoy studding the entire eggplant with garlic prior to cooking. This way, the garlic imparts great flavor inside and cooks at the same time. Enjoy!
- 2 eggplant (about 2 pounds in all)
- 1 head garlic
- 6 oz. plain vegan yogurt (soy, coconut, almond etc.)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 3 scallion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the eggplants and cut small slits all over. Press garlic cloves into the slits (See picture below)
- Prepare the smoker. Place the rack as close to the water as possible. Smoke the eggplants for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, chop the herbs. Place in bags or tupperware if bringing to the tailgate.
- Once the eggplants are soft remove them from the smoker and let cool for 15 minutes. If its cold outside this takes less time!
- Peel the eggplant and mash (I actually used an imersion blender) along with the garlic. Peeling is easier with a paring or pocket knife.
- Add the herbs, spices, yogurt, and lemon juice to the mashed eggplant/garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pita chips.
|Garlic Studded Eggplant|
|Smokin out back at my moms|
|The eggplant at a vegan potluck!|