Week 3: Browns vs. Bills (part 2)
In addition to the traditional tailgate ribs
I made for week 3, I wanted to bring a little more southern BBQ to the table. Nothing says BBQ like mac and cheese next to a plate of ribs, greens, and baked beans. But being a vegan doesn't mean you have to forego any of these things. Mac and "cheeze," as many cookbooks and chefs call it, can be made a variety of ways
without any cheese. Common ingredients include:
This recipe again comes from Alicia Simpson's Quick and Easy: Vegan Comfort Food
. I wanted something in a casserole dish that could be easily heated on the grill. I added a few additional ingredients, such as the collard greens (from the last CSU farmer's market
of the season) and jalapeños. Enjoy!
- 24 oz. whole wheat macaroni noodles (don't be fooled by the label!)
- 1 bunch collard greens, destemmed and chopped (see technique below)
- 5 jalapeños, finely chopped (leave the seeds for extra heat)
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cups diced yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup raw cashews nuts
- 1/3 cup raw macadamia nuts (just use more cashews if you can't get them)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of tumeric
- Pinch of sea salt
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I like Ian's brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Prepare the macaroni according to the package. Add in the chopped collard greens in the last 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
|Destem by folding the leaf in half and cutting along the side|
|Roll a bunch of leaves in a tight cylinder |
|Chop it up!|
|Cooked pasta with greens (you can do this every time you make pasta with any greens)|
- Sautee the jalapenos in a bit of water or olive oil spray for a few minutes. Toss in with the pasta.
- Meanwhile, combine the potatoes, carrots and onion in a pot with the 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Place the boiled veggies (don't drain), nuts, garlic, spices and lemon juice in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth. (Note: I love my vitamix, thanks mom!)
|Nuts, garlic, spices and lemon juice|
|No joke, it's the Ferrari of blenders|
- Pour the sauce in with the noodles to coat. Transfer to a sprayed casserole dish (pyrex or foil). Top with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.
|Action shot |
|With the jalapeños |
- Note: If bringing to the tailgate, you'll want to bake it for a little bit before you step out the door. Then just throw in on the hot grill to warm up in the parking lot.
|The complete BBQ meal from Week 3|
Post a Comment